These SUGARED CRANBERRIES have become one of my FAVORITE holiday treats.
They are tart, sweet and fun to eat.
Yes, FUN to eat! They make a POP in your mouth when you bite them.
- 2 cups granulated sugar (I use 3 cups)
- 2 cups water (I use 3 cups)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (I use 1 bag, 12 ounces, I think)
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar (I've used superfine ((pictured)) or regular sugar)
- Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. (Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when added.) Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, if desired. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add the cranberries, rolling to coat with sugar. Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.
- Note: The steeping liquid clings to the berries and helps the sugar adhere. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.